Open Government Partnership New Zealand National Action Plan 2018-2020
Progress report to: 30 April 2019
Commitment 8: Review of government use of algorithms
Lead agency: Stats NZ/Government Chief Data Steward (working with Department of Internal Affairs/Government Chief Digital Officer)
Objective: To increase the transparency and accountability of how government uses algorithms.
Ambition: To ensure New Zealanders are informed and have confidence in how the government uses algorithms (automatic decision-making processes used by computer programmes) to identify patterns in data.
OGP values: Transparency, Accountability
Complete an initial review of existing operational algorithms and their use across a range of government agencies
Start/End dates: 1 June 2018 to 31 October 2018
Consider next steps for all-of-government assurance related to the use of algorithms in collaboration with Civil Society representatives
Start/End dates: 31 October 2018 to 28 February 2019
Update this commitment (and its milestones) to reflect progress made in previous milestones
Start/End dates: 1 March 2019 to 31 March 2019
What we have been doing
- Through Q1 we have consulted across the public service on our response to the recommendations made in the algorithm assessment report. Working across the sector enables the development of a response that supports the objectives of the wider Public Service, whilst at the same time increasing the transparency and accountability of government use of algorithms.
- We are preparing to provide Ministers policy advice through Q3 on government’s response to the algorithm assessment report, and options on future algorithm transparency and accountability in government.
- As part of the policy process we will seek views from New Zealanders more generally on the proposals, with work on the associated communications and engagement plan underway.
- Following these decisions, we anticipate being able to update this commitment (and its milestones) to reflect progress made.
How we are including diverse voices
- Refer above.
How we are keeping diverse communities informed
- Refer above.
- Through Q3 we will be working across the wider Public Service to advise Ministers on government’s response to the algorithm assessment report and options around algorithm transparency and accountability in government moving forward. As part of this process we anticipate seeking views from New Zealanders generally on these issues, and subsequently we will provide further information on progress.