Open Government Partnership New Zealand National Action Plan 2018-2020
Progress report for: (Commitment Complete)
Commitment 2: Youth Parliament
Lead agency: Ministry of Youth Development
Objective: To improve understanding among young people of how Parliament works and to highlight topics that matter to young people the Ministry of Youth Development (MYD) will work with the Office of the Speaker of the New Zealand House of Representatives to deliver an enhanced Youth Parliament 2019.
Ambition: Through delivering the six-month Youth Parliament 2019 programme, MYD aims to fulfil the five Youth Parliament objectives:
- replicate the Parliamentary process
- involve as many young people as possible (before and after the event)
- maximise the educational opportunities of the event
- enhance Parliamentary public relations
- make known the views expressed to appropriate policy agencies.
To allow young people the opportunity to shape what is discussed at the two-day event the young people selected to be Youth MPs will submit potential topics for Youth Parliament select committee hearings, and potential topics for a mock bill.
OGP values: Public Participation, Technology and Innovation
Widely promote the opportunity to submit to the ten planned Youth Parliament select committee hearings ahead of the July 2019 Youth Parliament event to a diverse range of young people.
Start/End dates: April 2019-June2019
Explore (with the Ministry of Education) how footage of Youth MPs speaking in the debating chamber of the New Zealand House of Representatives could be utilised as part of a civics or citizenship educational resource for schools.
Start/End dates: October 2018-June 2020
With the Office of the Clerk of the House of Representatives maximise opportunities to profile Youth Parliament via social media channels, including promoting:
- the Youth MP and Youth Press Gallery selection period
- the finalising of the select committee and mock bill topics (planned to be finalised by April 2019)
- the work of Youth MPs in their communities during their tenure
- activities occurring during the two-day Youth Parliament event
Start/End dates: October 2018-August 2019
Circulate Youth Parliament select committee reports to policy agencies relevant to the topics discussed and publish them on the MYD website as soon as they are available after the Youth Parliament event.
Start/End dates: July 2019-October 2019
What we have been doing
This Commitment has been completed
Links – evidence of progress and milestones achieved
- The Youth Parliament Summary A3 document is available on the Ministry of Youth Development’s
- All footage of Youth Parliament 2019 activities that occurred in the debating chamber is available on the Youth Parliament youtube channel.
- The ten Youth Parliament 2019 select committee reports are available on the Parliament website.
- The live stream of the report back to the Parliamentary Health select committee on the Youth Parliament 2019 inquiry titled what can we do to lower the rate of suicide in New Zealand can be viewed on the Parliamentary Health select committee’s facebook page.
- The October 2019 Youth Parliament electronic newsletter is available online here.