Open Government Partnership New Zealand National Action Plan 2016-2018
Date: June to August 2017
Commitment 3 - Improving open data access and principles
Lead agency: Stats NZ
To review and strengthen the principles under which New Zealand releases open data and information.
What have we been doing?
A paper proposing that New Zealand adopt the International Open Data Charter was confirmed by Cabinet on 21 August 2017. This follows public consultation on adopting the Charter, and consultation with key government agencies on the paper.
- Engagement Summary – Open Data Charter
- Published Submissions on ‘Should the New Zealand Government adopts the International Open D ata Charter’?
- New Zealand adopts International Open Data Charter – press release
- Stats NZ will work with public services and non-public service departments on refining the Open Government Data Action Plan to include how implementation of the Charter’s principles will be advanced. An updated Action Plan will be published by 31 October 2017.
- Stats NZ will proactively release the Cabinet paper.
- Adopting the Charter enables Australia and New Zealand to have a commonly agreed framework for collaboration, providing opportunities to work with Australia on open government data initiatives.